Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Kick In The Career: Story Time!


On his blog, business advisor Don Metznik has some great insights on how storytelling can increase a company’s ability to attract customers. Don emphasizes the value of creating a narrative not only about your product or service, but also about your business as a whole. This can be extremely compelling to your prospects.

Why not take up this challenge in your career? Craft a short story out of what you have to offer. Draw prospective employers into your experience as if they were reading a short story by Hemingway or listening to a monologue from David Sedaris.

But I would never send you into literary territory without a template. So let’s try it….

As the sun’s rays sank low over the (name of town you grew up in) horizon, my father called me in for dinner. I was engrossed in (name of childhood hobby that holds clear value as having prepared you for your current career) and did not hear him.  Weary of my impertinence, but curious about my activity, the old man stepped toward me and eyed with interest my (aforementioned hobby object). His eyes widened.
            “Well, [son or daughter],” he said, “That’s pretty darn good. You might have a career in (job you are interviewing for) some day.”
            The seasons passed as they do in the fullness of time. As father predicted, the skills evidenced by my formative experience with (aforementioned hobby) shaped my professional development, and soon, with heavy heart, I left the safety of home behind and struck out on my own, excelling at (college or university of your choice) in the field of (study area related to your early genius at aforementioned hobby), thus solidifying my capabilities for independent thinking, taking on enormous responsibility and the complicated eventuality of earning more than my parents ever did.
            At (previous employer), I began in the (mail room or some other bottom-rung position), where I patiently mastered my craft and learned how to effectively interface with even the most difficult of personalities, making me invaluable to my employer, who also became a mentor and friend and wrote the letter of recommendation you now hold in your hand. My interpersonal skills soon found me promoted to a corner office, where the sun shone through the giant panel windows, poignantly recalling the sunset in (name of town you grew up in) on the day my father first recognized the gifts I might be able to bring to the world.
            And now, as the richness of life is revealed by your kind decision to bring me in for an interview, I can see in your eyes the same encouragement and nurturing I perceived in the eyes of the only person I can confidently say was greater than you: my father. I am confident that you will also look over my shoulder and perceive the genius he once saw in me.
            What’s that? Yes, I do happen to have a Kleenex on me. Here you go….

Perhaps a little hyperbole here and there, but writing this was fun—and creating an interconnecting arc of life your experience really can help you stand out in an interview. Let them see what your story is, and chances are they’ll want to be a part of it.    



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?