Monday, July 21, 2014

A Kick In The Career: No Wonder There Are So Many Mirrors In The Boss’s Office



Inc. Magazine reports on a new study suggesting that a little narcissism can help you be a more effective leader and get ahead in the workplace. The link is:


I, however, am far too amazing to comment upon this one way or another.

Just kidding.

Well, maybe not kidding, entirely.

I mean, I do have a darn successful recruiting business, and I didn’t get that by thinking I was a useless sack of cells. Also, I look really good. A powerful jaw line. A commanding presence. If I could hire myself, I certainly would.

But enough about me. What do you think about me? Because if we’re going to work together, I think we should establish a few things up front.

One: Me.

Two: Me.

Three: Me.

Now, where was I?

Oh, yes, the Inc. article goes on to say that narcissism, in moderation, may be a good jumping off point for success. But the study’s leader, Emily Grijalva, points out that narcissists often alienate the people who helped them by continuing exploitative, arrogant behavior even after gaining power. In the long term, narcissists are “addicted to admiration.” They’re not good at maintaining a positive leadership position.

Oh.

So, listen, have I ever told you how much I value what you bring to my organization? Honestly, how could I do what I do without the talented and sought-after people I work to connect with the best possible jobs out there?

You guys are the best.
What am I, really? 

Just a regular, everyday guy doing whatever he can to help.

Nothing special here. No, sir.

I tell you, these studies they do certainly are enlightening…um, I mean, way off base.

Am I right?

Humbly,

Tom.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?